bamboo

bamboo

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

MAPS: An Unusual View

Rotated Maps

Then a friend bought me an Australian map that was on sale in Japan. Not only does it have South at the top, but it is also "rotated" so that China, Indonesia and Australia are in the centre rather than Europe and West Africa.
Rotated and Upsidedown World Map
Hard to believe that I'd not only been educated into one stereotype about maps, but even after learning that stereotype had failed to spot the other one.

I'm interested in Upsidedown Maps because they make me rethink the world. It's important to remember that there are people all over it. Since hanging one on my wall I've learnt geography again. You can reevaluate the world from scratch, as if it was a brand new alien landscape.

Indonesia looks like by far the most interesting place from orbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment